This cemetery is not visible from the roadside and appears to be a vacant block and has no signage at the roadside, however, upon walking up the hill and over the crest you are greeted with the historic cemetery, surrounded by modern suburban homes.
This cemetery is the residue of Estate of Henry Flett Esq. M.P. 1810 - 1879
In 1846 Henry Flett purchased the property "Taree", a primary grant of 2560 acres made in 1831 to his Father-in-law, William Wynter R.N. Henry Flett proceeded to develop the farming land on the property with the introduction of tenant farmers. In 1854, on part of the estate, he established and named the private town of Taree. Henry Flett was the first member for Hastings, in the 3rd and 4th NSW Parliaments, 1859-1864.
The cemetery of 2.2 acres was designated by Henry Flett as a cemetery for the use by family members, the families of early settlers and tenant farmers and their descendants free of charge. His request has been honored by the Flett family down the years. The graves of Henry Flett, Mary Flett (his wife) and Elizabeth Wynter (William Wynter's wife) are in this cemetery.
The first recorded burial here was that of John Chamberlain Tilney in 1845. His son, George Tilney chose this site for the grave.
The marker erected at the boundary of the cemetery is dedicated to the memory of the Early Settlers on Taree Estate to whom we owe so much.