South Gundagai Cemetery
The Heraldry & Genealogy Society of Canberra Inc. Transcripts
MapAustralian Cemeteries Index Online Data
It is assumed that the South Gundagai Cemetery was used when the old town was situated on the flat, the earliest known burial there being that of Edmund Crisp who died on 27th August, 1846, lost his life in the Murrumbidgee River while attempting to rescue a fellow-creature from drowning. Dr Charles Strutt when visiting the town in 1850 commented - 'about half a mile out of town is the burying ground, ten acres, with a small obelisk in the middle. It contains about five graves' Many of the 1852 flood victims were buried quickly in unmarked graves near Ferry Street, South Gundagai, where most of the bodies were washed up. After the flood there appears to have been a cemetery in use which is not shown on the 1850 map, approximately where in more recent years the Fire Station was built. But as burial records for that period have been lost, and civil registration had not yet begun, it is no possible to confirm this. It was perhaps thought in the days immediately after the flood that the designated land in both North and South Gundagai was too far out of town, and that it would be more convenient to use the empty land in Otway Street, which was very close to the centre of the new town. Pieces of headstones are said to have been found when the Fire Station was being built, but if so, no trace of them remains. In the 1960's the Gundagai cemeteries, which had been controlled until that time by the various churches, were handed over to the Shire Council, which now maintains them. However the burial books which were kept by the churches were mislaid in the handover, and have not been found since.