Lowther General Cemetery is located beside the Jenolan Caves Road , 12.8 kms. from the turn off the Great Western Highway at Hartley.
The Cemetery is divided into the three denominational sections of Catholic, Church of England and Presbyterian. With the opening of the Jenolan Caves Road in the late 1800's, it provided a more accessible and spacious cemetery than the much earlier “ Lowther Park ”. The Catholic Church of St. Mathew, dating from the same period, still stands but is unused today. Requiem Masses were also said at St. Gabriel's Church at Hampton .
The first grave with memorial, Ida Haswell (nee Kirk), is dated 1886.
Most of the pioneer families of the Lowther, Hampton (former name ‘Upper Run'), Ganbenang and Kanimbla Valley districts are represented here. These were hardworking, mountain people – loggers, farmers and graziers.
In his wonderful book “Cullenbenbong” about his memories of childhood in the valley in the very early 1900's, Bernard O'Reilly wrote: “…it was the one Sunday of the month when Father Hogan drove out from Hartley to the little wooden church at Lowther.
This ride to Lowther was quite a social event, people along the road waited for others so that all the party could ride and yarn together…all the saddle bags were full of good things, and quart pots or billy cans were on nearly every saddle; it is a lovely thing to ride through a scented bushland to pay a little worship to God, but it is good for the appetite too.”
Bernard's brother, Norbert O'Reilly, is remembered on the War Memorial opposite the Cemetery among the names of the local soldiers who fell in WW1.
The Cemetery has always been very well maintained by local volunteers. It is administered by Lithgow City Council, 180 Mort Street , Lithgow NSW 2790 Telep (02) 6352 1077 email: firstname.lastname@example.org u
Contributed by John Miller, 2 April 2006
Total records = 103