Hartley Vale Primitive Methodist Church Cemetery
Junction of Hartley Vale Road & Berry Hill Road
It is located on the hill on private property surrounded by and electric fence.
Source: Gumeracha 1839-1939 by Gumeracha Cenetnnial Celebrations Committee ISBN 0 86946 328 4
This Primitive Methodist Church was built in the very early days, presumably between 1844-1847.
There are no records available showing the exact date, and the only information discernible on the building is the lettering ‘P.M.'
Those responsible for its establishment were the Kellys, Moores, Teakles, Sandercocks, Hannafords and Lillecrapps.
The churchyard cemetery contained only one headstone in 1939, being that of a Mrs. Squires.
The Church formed portion of the Woodside Circuit until the Methodist and the Primitive Methodist and Bible Christian Churches combined.
In 1855 the Church property was taken over by the South Australian Education Department, and used as a school.
In 1939 the old church building was the property of the Moore family of Hartley Vale, who used it as a barn and was at that time in a fair state of preservation, and at times had been used for holding some good concerts. At that time one could stroll round the old church surrounded with English Gorse and other signs of unkemptness, and remember the old pioneers as they rested from all work and worshipped there on the Sabbath. This would generate a deep feeling of veneration and the hope that this old building would be P reserved as one of the reminders of old pioneers and their beginnings in the fair land they had handed down to us.
Sadly the church was destroyed in the Ash Wednesday fires, and only the crumbling stone walls remain today.