Goolwa Old Cemetery
Goolwa
Alexandrina Council
11 Cadell Street
Goolwa SA 5214
Phone (08) 8555 7000
Fax (08) 8555 3603

 

Online Data

Dead Search
Headstone Photos

  Forever Remembered
Online Data  

Gravesecrets
Headstone Photos

 

The cemetery is laid out according to the plan situated at the entrance. The numbering of the grave plots originally provided for 357 plots, however a later addition and subsequent renumbering of plots in about 1865 allowed for 405 plots. This renumbering has made the identification of graves difficult as the old numbers were not amended in the burial register. The site is important for both its historiacal nature, and also for the vegetation which has replanted since closure.  There are many rare species on this site.  Please tread carefully. The grant of land for this cemetery for the town of Goolwa was given in November 1855.

There are 188 burials recorded in the Burial Register and there are few earlier known burials dating from 1854. The last burials were in 1893.  A full list of recorded burials is held by the Alexandrina Council and the National Trust of South Australia Goolwa Museum. This site has been preserved as an historical burial site and also a significant native vegetation site.

This cemetery project has been funded by; The Natural Heritage Trust, The Alexandrina council, The National Trust of South Australia, Goolwa Branch and the National Trust of South Australia Youn Trust Group.

Goolwa Administration and Library Centre

11 Cadell Street
Goolwa   SA   5214

Phone:          (08) 8555 7000
Fax:              (08) 8555 3603
Email:            alex@alexandrina.sa.gov.au

 

Click Image to Enlarge

 

Photos by

These pages were produced by P.Applebee ©2005