Beverley Primitive Methodist Cemetery
Cnr Howards Road and Wodgina Streets
In 1855, Mr Sackfield Asplin donated the Land to the Trustees of the Primitive Methodist Chapel and the opening services were held on Sunday 8 th April, 1855 . Little did Mr Sackfield realise that he would be the first to bury a family member in the cemetery. The first burial that of a child which in those days the most common deaths were of children, was conducted on 28 th December 1859 . His daughter Elizabeth Asplin aged 11 years was the first person laid to rest within the cemetery, and the last burial was that of Amy Stephens in August 1947.
The Methodist church ( S.A. ) Property Trust transferred the land to the Corporation of the City of Woodville and was dedicated as Parklands in 1980. Sackfield Asplin together with two of his children who died in infancy are buried within the cemetery.
With a total of 317 burials in the Cemetery, today in 2006 the Beverley Cemetery is now a public reserve with only 34 headstones remaining.
The information includes the Burial register for the cemetery covering the years 1855 to 1944.