Burton Primitive Methodist Cemetery

Bolivar Road
Paralowie

 

 

Friends of Burton
Cemetery Group

Online Data

Map

Online Data

Forever Remembered

Online Data

Dead Search
Headstone Photos

    Gravesecrets
Headstone Photos

 

When a Methodist Chapel was built at Burton, three miles west of Salisbury, in 1858, burials were made in the church yard.  Gravestones tell the familiar story of the deaths of juveniles at a time when measles, scarlet fever and gastroenteritis ravaged the country. The first burial at Burton was that of George Diment, aged 10 1/2 years, in December 1866. Burials continued until 1957, after which there aw a long gap until the last burial of Lydia Wright, aged 82 years in April 1971. Today there is no church and the shattered headstones, the work of senseless vandals, remain as a pitiful remembrance of our sturdy pioneers.

 

 

For further information on this Cemetery Contact

These pages were produced by P.Applebee ©2001